Monday, May 30, 2011

Year 3 Semester 2 (AY 2010/11)

The final results have arrived... My graduation and end of school life is almost official.

CS5341 - Computational Photography
Credits: 4
Grade: B+
Comment: Indeed in this module we were exposed to MANY modern computer vision ideas as well as many algorithms to realize some of them. While the module topics are indeed difficult, it was non-examinable for my batch (Perhaps because Professor Michael Brown teaches) and therefore for the assignments you just need to focus on understanding the required topics. One thing I learn from NUS (Too late, too late) by now is that while passion helps you to get good grades, having good grades by itself is not indicative of passion.

CS3245 - Information Retrieval
Credits: 4
Grade: A
Comment: We were asked to incrementally build a relatively simple search engine using Python (Thank goodness its not in C). The theory was overkill - Barely edging out CS4243 - Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition! However exams was more or less manageable, assuming you understand the concepts. Amateur programmers may attempt this module to gain appreciation of the complexities in typical software systems before they decide whether the life of a Software Engineer is suitable for them.

CS2106 - Introduction to Operating Systems
Credits: 4
Grade: B+
Comment: This is the most irritating module in this semester, hands down. Guaranteed, the things I have to do are arguably optional: Tutorials, which some students wouldn't bother to attempt, and the 20+ lab assignments which you do not need to complete all to get the maximum lab marks. Still I attempted them almost everything because it is good for learning. The theory part are relatively easy to understand (After previously being exposed to crazier algorithms), but the tests and exams are far from easy. My lecturer was Razvan Voicu.

SSB1204 - Labour Law In Singapore
Credits: 4
Grade: C+
Comment: This module is surprisingly useful with regards to employment laws in Singapore - Because after all, I am going to transition from school to the actual workforce. You need to participate to get a good grade for CA (I did not). The final exam will have you writing essay questions. The final grade I got is probably justified since I did not pay as much attention to this as I did to my technical modules. S/U-ed.

GEK1531 - Introduction to Cybercrime
Credits: 4
Grade: B+
Comment: I did not pay quality attention to this module (Did not put in my strongest effort when studying or writing the report). Strangely this module is taught by the Department of Mathematics, which explains why I can treat it as my Breadth module. There are some Cryptography (Basic Discrete Maths) concepts which you need to be familiar with. I did plan to S/U it but my CAP still stays at 4.21, so there's no point doing that.

Overall Results:
MCs taken: 141 + 20 = 161
CAP: 4.21

Notes/Trivia:
  • First, only, and the last semester that I took a module that is not my core requirement AND not School of Computing module AND not a Science module - SSB1204.
  • First, only, and the last semester I took a Level 5000 module and got B+ for it.
  • First, only, and the last semester I scored a solid 'A' letter grade for a crazy algorithm module (CS3245)
  • First, only, and the last semester that I got a C+ for a module.
  • First, only, and the last semester that I used the S/U option.
  • I should have S/U-ed my B grades during the earlier semesters.
  • The only semester that I get only 4 MCs worth of Grade A.
  • Worst performing semester if not factoring in the S/U.
  • More boring school statistics to come soon.
Final remarks and advice for NUS Computing students if they bother to read:
  • I lead a sad life.
    • Majority of my semester time at NUS is spent on studies with my remaining time doodling/slacking
    • My peers probably enjoyed their NUS days, owing to their high intelligence therefore studies is easy for them, or that they simply can't be bothered
  • I know what I want to be in the near future (Software Engineer)
    • But it is still too vague a title and my area of studies are unfocused
    • You should not only explore career options through internships during school holidays (Even during your early school years), but also coming back to school to focus on the modules of areas that you really like.
I already started thinking of my career options way back in December 2010 and some of more relaxed peers did not do so. It is somewhat disheartening that they already got a job before exams started while for all my good grades, I still get no job offers even after my exam results are released.

Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment