Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Year 2 Semester 2 (AY 2009/10)

CS4247 - Graphics Rendering
Credits: 4
Grade: B
Comment: The concepts at the early parts are difficult, especially the physics. I had no support from anyone and the only other partner I had in this module also had no clue what the lecturer was talking about. Even the recommended textbook (Alan Watt's 3D Computer Graphics) doesn't help. Hence I flunked the midterm paper. If you loved CS3241 (I don't), then CS4247 is recommended.

CS3103 - Computer Networks and Protocols
Credits: 4
Grade: A
Comment: If you liked CS2105 you will love CS3103 - Goes into details of TCP/IP protocols. Programming assignments are more intensive compared to CS2105 this time round: Create a chat client and server (C programming!!!) and then a packet parser (Any programming language, we choose Java) for standard protocols like ARP and TCP. Memorizing the textbook may not as effective for one new to Computer Networking because the written assignments require a bit of thinking and reasoning.

CS3103L - Computer Networks Laboratory
Credits: 2
Grade: A
Comment: This is a lab-based module that accompanies CS3103. I put in quite some effort during the labs since I and my partner were slowcoaches (Well, at least I think I was a slowcoach there). Only Engineers who are familiar with networking and likes to mess with their PC's settings and such will find this module at least vaguely familiar and thus will be able to move and act fast.

MA1101R - Linear Algebra
Credits: 4
Grade: B+
Comment: A maths module teaching you theories of Matrices and Vectors. There is no calculus. Professor Victor Tan explains the basic Linear Algebra concepts very well. Although the theory is easy, beware: Linear Algebra also tests you on proving techniques. MA1101R module will devote a significant portion of marks in asking you to prove or disprove certain equations. Unfortunately proving wasn't my strongest suit in Maths which explains why I cannot get beyond the basic level so far.

IS2104 - Software Team Dynamics
Credits: 4
Grade: B+
Comment: Ah... Besides CS1105 (Re-coded as IS1103), IS2104 is the first IS-coded module I took. I was part of the tiny debut class (11 students including me!) for this module, taught by Professor Sharon Tan. It teaches a little of project management, but focuses on theories of teamwork. As such it might be useful to understand team members' motivations and help you in future project work.

GEM2900 - Understanding Probability and Statistics Thinking
Credits: 4
Grade: B
Comment: Somewhat disappointing. My first straight B grade for a module from Department of Mathematics. It was my GEM (General Education module), and I did consider to S/U it, but figured that I can save my S/U for the final semesters. It is a really light maths module, even easier than my watered-down ST2334 syllabus but perhaps that is how GEMs are like. And of course, since it is so easy, competition is very fierce.

Overall Results:
MCs taken: 99 + 22 = 121
CAP: 4.18
Promoted from COM3 to COM4 (FINALLY!)

Notes/Trivia:
  • CAP took another hit, reducing by 0.03
  • My Math module's grade continues to drop...
  • The trend of getting A grades for exactly 2 modules for the semester continues here - For CS3103 and CS3103L
  • But it is the first semester where I no longer have 8 MCs worth of A grade - CS3103 and CS3103L together are 6 MCs
  • I hate Physics

No comments:

Post a Comment